TVP Black Bean Burger Patties
- 1 cup TVP granules
- 1 cup hot vegetable broth or water
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste or ketchup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (for cooking)
- Burger buns and desired toppings
- In a bowl, combine the TVP granules and hot vegetable broth or water. Allow them to soak and rehydrate for about 10-15 minutes, or until the TVP is soft and has absorbed the liquid.
- While the TVP is rehydrating, mash the black beans in a large bowl using a fork or potato masher. You can leave some chunks for texture.
- Once the TVP is rehydrated, drain any excess liquid and add it to the mashed black beans.
- Add the breadcrumbs, finely chopped onion, minced garlic, cumin, paprika, chili powder, salt, and pepper to the mixture. Mix well to combine all the ingredients.
- Stir in the soy sauce or tamari and the tomato paste or ketchup. The mixture should hold together when squeezed, but not be too wet. If it’s too dry, you can add a little more liquid (water, broth, or a bit of olive oil).
- Divide the mixture into burger-sized portions and shape them into patties using your hands. You can typically make around 4-6 patties, depending on the size you prefer.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the patties and cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side, or until they’re golden brown and heated through.
- Toast the burger buns if desired, and assemble the black bean burger patties with your favorite toppings such as lettuce, tomato, onion, avocado, cheese, and condiments.
- Serve the black bean burger patties with a side of salad, fries, or any other sides you prefer.
Enjoy your homemade TVP black bean burger patties! Feel free to customize the recipe by adding different spices, herbs, or even some finely chopped vegetables to the mixture for added flavor and texture.