Lo Mein Chinese Noodles with and Authentic Flavor
For the Lo Mein:
- 8 oz (225g) Lo Mein noodles (or other vegan-friendly noodles)
- 8 oz (225g) extra-firm tofu, pressed and cubed
- 1 cup frozen edamame, shelled
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 3 green onions, chopped (white and green parts separated)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- Sesame seeds and chopped cilantro for garnish
For the Sauce:
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable broth or water
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (optional, for thickening)
Prepare the Tofu:
Press the tofu to remove excess water, then cut it into small cubes.
In a bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. Add the tofu cubes and gently toss to coat. Let it marinate for about 15-20 minutes.
Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the marinated tofu cubes and cook until they are golden and crispy on all sides. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
Prepare the Sauce:
- In a bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, vegetable broth (or water), rice vinegar, maple syrup (or agave nectar), toasted sesame oil, grated ginger, and red pepper flakes. If desired, add cornstarch to thicken the sauce. Set aside.
Cook the Vegetables and Noodles:
In the same skillet, heat the remaining tablespoon of vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and white parts of the green onions. Sauté for about 1 minute until fragrant.
Add the red bell pepper, julienned carrot, and broccoli florets. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the vegetables are tender-crisp.
Meanwhile, cook the Lo Mein noodles according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
Assemble the Lo Mein:
Add the cooked noodles, edamame, and cooked tofu to the skillet with the vegetables.
Pour the prepared sauce over the ingredients in the skillet. Toss everything together to coat the noodles and vegetables with the flavorful sauce.
Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, allowing the ingredients to heat through and the flavors to meld.
Remove from heat and garnish with chopped green onions, sesame seeds, and chopped cilantro.
Divide the high-protein vegan Lo Mein noodles among serving plates.
Enjoy your delectable High-Protein Vegan Lo Mein Noodles with Rich Chinese Flavor. This satisfying dish is not only packed with protein but also bursting with authentic Chinese taste. Perfect for a nutritious and flavorful meal.
Note: Feel free to customize the vegetables based on your preferences. You can also adjust the level of spiciness by adding more or less red pepper flakes.